Sorcerers are overpowered.

XP saved and additional levels to come

Sorcerers are overpowered.

Post by 1963 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:04 am

Pretty simple, I'm sure most people agree. All of the focus is on ninjas and there is practically no consideration paid towards sorcs. Sorcs become incredibly strong at high levels: their pistol dot is the same as the ninja poison dot only they don't have to charge it up, their fireball can one shot anyone with less than 130 hp, if you get shot with their pistol you get slowed, their flashlight renders ninjas defenseless.

The fix? Focus on their most overpowered skill: fireball - do not let int affect both cast time and damage, rather only let it affect damage and have the cast time the same at all amounts of int.

If you agree, please post.

xellas84

Re: Sorcerers are overpowered.

Post by xellas84 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:09 am

The only fix I'm considering about them is to remove the dot from their pistol hit. And I'm iffy about even that, since it does almost no damage to begin with.

I'm not changing the fireball at the current time. To balance it's power, there's the fact that to do the damage you describe takes 80 points of int, and you can't aim the fireball very well, since you can't control when it fires.

Long before I work on sorcerers, I'm going to finish balancing out ninjas and do some work on both assassins and hunters.

Post by 1963 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:02 pm

so it's overpowered for a ninja to have a one time charge up dot of 50 damage with 80 int but it's not overpowered for a sorc to get a spammable skill that deals 130'ish damage? aiming is a joke considering it deals splash damage, you don't have to hit them you just have to hit the ground around them (or yourself) and you'll get kills.

xellas84

Post by xellas84 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:12 pm

1963 wrote:so it's overpowered for a ninja to have a one time charge up dot of 50 damage with 80 int but it's not overpowered for a sorc to get a spammable skill that deals 130'ish damage? aiming is a joke considering it deals splash damage, you don't have to hit them you just have to hit the ground around them (or yourself) and you'll get kills.
First off, try playing with the poison a bit. It's not a one time charge, you have multiple charges of it (3 to be exact). It's also a fresh ability that needs tweaking, which is what will be happening.

Secondly, the fireball IS under investigation for change at a later date. Most likely I will make it a chargeup skill that can be targeted and fired properly, and at that point I will add a limit to the number of fireballs that can be used per round. However, since it is impossible to aim it properly as it is right now, adding a limit to the number of fireballs would destroy the skill entirely.

Try using some tactics against the fireball. It's not particularly difficult to defeat if you use cover and accurate shooting.

VIperMan

Post by VIperMan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:19 pm

You do realize that sorcs are only super lethal at like 60 plus. Yea sure at lvl 40 you have 80 points in intel but you have no dex, str, agility and it takes 2.5 seconds to charge the fireball. So for 2.5 seconds Im completely defenseless and i rely entirely on dex and str. I see sorc lvl 40-50 just getting ran over cause they are trying to stand there charge there weapon and shoot. There are three lethal sorcs Jazzy, Sexy and myself, It is completely unreasonable to punish sorcs because there are three high level players. Cause really how many people actually play sorc, that have gotten very far with it? Its much fewer and far between then what you make it sound like.

I will even let you in on a little secret on how to kill sorcs who are using fireball....You count. 1 Mississippi 2 Mississippi run away. I am your counter class and 40+ lvls above you, you can't expect to be able to charge me and expect to win. Only Kluh and Sidd can charge and expect to win, I would suggest rethinking your tactics.

Xellas fireball is totally aimable you just change the Use key to the second fire key and practice a little timing.

xellas84

Post by xellas84 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:36 pm

The timing issue is the problem. It's extremely hard to aim at something 2.5 seconds ahead of time and actually get it right. I won't consider it 'aimable' till I finish the modifications to make it charge up, then fire.

Post by 1963 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:35 pm

are you seriously going to buff sorcs by letting them charge up and then fire? this is completely insane.

hunters at least have to aim for their kills, all these sorcs have to do is hold e next to a door that the enemy team HAS to come through and they rack up the kills. meanwhile all focus is being paid on ninjas and none on the classes that are actually causing problems: ie, the class the guy who is deciding balancing changes is playing.

xellas84

Post by xellas84 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:32 pm

I'll thank you to not call attempts to balance classes 'completely insane'. You are being QUITE rude.

As I said before, once the fireball is changed, it will have a limit to the number of charges it has added. That way each shot has to count. At that point, if it still proves overpowered, I'll tweak the damage as well. Until I actually UNDERSTAND what I'm doing with the fireball code, I'm not changing anything about it though. The fireball code and the crossbow code are quite similar, and both probably the most complex code in the entire mod, since it involves spawning separate entities which then have multiple collision functions to work through. The fireball is definitely the more complex of the two, so I'm hoping to work on the hunter bow first, then use what I learn there to make proper edits to the fireball.

You are the ONLY person I've seen complaining about sorcerers. On the other hand, I have a long list of people who have complained, mostly in private, about the hunters. As for the 'main class I play', I'll have you know my MAIN class is necromancer. It's my highest level class, and the class I play when I get serious. I play sorcerer when I'm goofing around and having fun. On the other hand, it's QUITE publicly known that the class I dislike the most is the ninja, which is oddly enough the FIRST class I ended up buffing. And is the class I have buffed the MOST. That's quite odd, isn't it?

-[LoKi]-

Post by -[LoKi]- » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:41 am

xellas i will kindly ask you to refrain from your reverse sychologilibery you know you really want to buff the sorc's dont try and confuse 63 i think he smells it too he knows you really love . . . PIE!!

for those who cant read sarcasm ( this whole message is intended to have sarcastic intent )

Return to “#8 Diablo II(xp saved) ------------------------108.181.1.219:27022”