New computer

all topics cs and non cs related!

kal_el.ca

New computer

Post by kal_el.ca » Sun May 12, 2019 1:06 am

Hey guys! I know it's been a while since anybody has heard from me, but stupid life has been getting in the way. Anyways, I was looking things over and might have a little bit of extra cash to buy a refurbished computer. Looking for input on good places to start, possible sales and what might be a good setup to play CS. Was looking at about a $250 Canadian price range. Keep in mind the computer I used up until a couple months ago is at least 12 years old and the only thing I ever really updated was the video card and with a relatively cheap one at that.

So lets hear some suggestions... and thanks for any help. I get easily confused when deciding on which computer would be best suited for my needs

rip

Re: New computer

Post by rip » Sun May 12, 2019 10:47 am

Wait a little bit. Computex is in 2 weeks, and while it won't hit the refurb market hard, all current gen stuff will take a hit as new products are announced...and even older stuff will follow suit to a lesser extent as every newer generation makes the older stuff less valuable.
rip

Build a fire for a man, you keep him warm that night.
Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

kal_el.ca

Post by kal_el.ca » Sun May 12, 2019 4:04 pm

See, that's good information that I didn't have. No way would I have known that. Thanks!

kal_el.ca

Post by kal_el.ca » Sun May 26, 2019 9:08 pm

What are good places to look? I've kind of been looking through newegg but not sure what else is out there besides Staples.

rip

Post by rip » Tue May 28, 2019 11:01 pm

I mean, if you are strapped for case, you could build in your current case with someones pulled cpu/mb.

My basic minimum specs being 2019 and all (meaning, this or better):

8G DDR3
PCIe 3.0
Higher 2.x GHZ (2.8 or so +)
i3 dual core, i5 quad more desirable or newer AMD (Not an AM3 at this point, most are PCIe 2.0)

I could bite on something link this for a project:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASRock-H97Pro4 ... ition=3000

Assuming your PS is 24-pin and has 8pin for +12V for the CPU header

Also, do your own homework, never trust the listing, lol:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97%20Pro4/
rip

rip

Post by rip » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:24 pm

kal_el.ca wrote:What are good places to look? I've kind of been looking through newegg but not sure what else is out there besides Staples.
Dd you ever get anything?

Not sure yet, I need the new system up and running before I decommission my old one. I have an older 6 core AM3+ system I'm replacing (This runs my as my video server with eight 4k cameras, it's having trouble keeping up when there's lots going on. I think there's 14 TB on it, but recycling those.)

But might have a MB, 6-core and 16GB memory and whatever card is in it (I run headless, video is only used for the initial setup)

New system is AMD 8 core (might drop in 12 when prices and availability calm down), 32GB, 20TB (general video capture) (+some more TB for "events" motion and triggered alarms) with pci 4.0 ssd for boot and database. I think that's what really slowing me down is the SQL, hence the fast SSD, no more spinning rust for the data, just the raw captures.
rip

kal_el.ca

Post by kal_el.ca » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:19 am

I have not got anything yet. Situation changed a bit and I am looking for something a little bit better. Will be hopefully getting something in the very near future (week or so before I order) although it won't be anything close to what you have. I don't do lots on computers aside from CS and every now and then, WoW.

Return to “Questions for 40cal?”