Feliz dia de Muertos(Day of the dead)

things that have nothing to do with cs!

.:N!zZ:.:782:.

Feliz dia de Muertos(Day of the dead)

Post by .:N!zZ:.:782:. » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:50 pm

El Dia de los Muertos (the Day of the Dead), a Mexican celebration, is a day to celebrate, remember and prepare special foods in honor of those who have departed. On this day in Mexico, the streets near the cemeteries are filled with decorations of papel picado , flowers, candy calaveras (skeletons and skulls), and parades.
It is believed that the spirit of the dead visit their families on October 31 and leave on November 2.

In order to celebrate, the families make altars and place ofrendas (offerings) of food such as pan de muertos baked in shapes of skulls and figures, candles, incense, yellow marigolds known as cempazuchitl (also spelled zempasuchil) and most importantly a photo of the departed soul is placed on the altar.

It might sound somewhat morbid, but the Mexicans react to death with mourning along with happiness and joy. They look at death with the same fear as any other culture, but there is a difference. They reflect their fear by mocking and living alongside death.

Living alongside death means that Mexicans have to learned to accept it within their lives. Death is apparent in everyday life. It is in art and even in children's toys. It is not respected as it is in other cultures. Children play "funeral" with toys that are made to represent coffins and undertakers.

Death is laughed at in its face. Many euphemisms are used for death, La calaca (the skeleton), la pelona ("baldy"), la flaca ("skinny"), and la huesada ("bony"). There are refranes, sayings, and poems that are popular with day of the dead. These sayings are cliches and lose meaning when translated. For example "La muerte es flaca y no puede conmigo" means "Death is skinny/weak and she can't carry me." Calaveras (skulls) are decorated with bright colors with the name of the departed inscribed on the head. Children carrying yellow marigolds enjoy the processions to the cemetery. At the cemetery, music is played and dances are made to honor the spirits.

Death is a celebration in Mexico. Death is among them.
Attachments
F1.jpg
F1.jpg (91.24 KiB) Viewed 1899 times

CaptainJamesTKirk

Re: Feliz dia de Muertos(Day of the dead)

Post by CaptainJamesTKirk » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Happy Day of the Dead to you as well. I used to love this day cause the lady I worked for would make the best tamales and give me like 20 to take home.

.:N!zZ:.:782:.

Post by .:N!zZ:.:782:. » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:56 pm

What that's what my mom is cooking right now, i love tamales deep fry taste even better trust me.

CaptainJamesTKirk

Post by CaptainJamesTKirk » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm super jealous cause I don't get any. Never had them deep fried only regular. I'll have to try that. Everything deep fried is better.

IOI

Post by IOI » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:24 am

Nice info on day of the dead, N!zz!
It's also my sister's birthday, so we went to eat pupusas (Salvadorean, fried-flat dough with meat and beans inside) on that day. We tried going to the annual Art walk event in Santa ana, but it was overpopulated =/

Return to “Other stuff!”