Spamming?

speak and you will be heard!

SNSD

Spamming?

Post by SNSD » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:58 pm

This isn't a complaint, but I don't know where else I would post this in the forum.

I would like to get some clarification as to what exactly constitutes the server rule: "-Do not spam walls, boxes, doors, or crates ", as each admin seems to have a little bit different interpretation regarding this.

It was my original impression that if you are in the middle of a firefight, and the opponent runs behind a box/wall/doors, you are entitled to continue firing (for the couple 2-3 seconds until your clip empties) to try to hit the opponent.
I understood the "-Do not spam walls, boxes, doors, or crates " server rule to prohibit people from blindly spamming boxes/walls/doors.

Maverick, however, recently informed me that the admins decided to do away with that altogether, as it is too hard to enforce...
i.e. if the target (e.g. Mav) I am firing at, runs behind a box/wall/door, I am to stop shooting immediately.
So I took his word at that, and tried to restrain myself whenever he hid from my line of fire. :D

I also played with Mario today, who seemed to enforce it the original way that I had understood before, "don't spam the doors unless you have visual".
i.e. don't blindly spam without first seeing a target run by/behind something... ...in which case its okay?

There have also been other 3*/4* admins that seem to enforce this all a bit differently from each other as well.
Its just that I finally decided to raise the question that I think has been confusing to other players and myself.

If sammy and/or the senior admins come to some sort of consensus on this particular server rule and clear this up, I'd appreciate it. ;)
Last edited by SNSD on Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-[.40 cal ]- MarioBros. ** : i swear, sometimes i think you hack, snsd.

8-)

MarioBros

Re: Spamming?

Post by MarioBros » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:22 pm

SNSD wrote:
It was my original impression that if you are in the middle of a firefight, and the opponent runs behind a box/wall/doors, you and entitled to continue firing (for the couple 2-3 seconds until your clip empties) to try to hit the opponent.
I understood the "-Do not spam walls, boxes, doors, or crates " server rule to prohibit people from blindly spamming boxes/walls/doors.

I also played with Mario today, who seemed to enforce it the original way that I had understood before, "don't spam the doors unless you have visual".
i.e. don't blindly spam without first seeing a target run by/behind something... ...in which case its okay?
This has always been the way I tell every admin to implement it. You have visual, you have 3 secs to spam.
It is "hard" to make sure everybody gets that rule because it takes away time from your/mine playtime to explain it. I had no problems when I played often with that rule, even regs would implement it and in some cases explain it to new players.
I haven't been able to play because of school, but I'm going to be a little bit more available to watch the servers again.
"Text translated via Google Translate"

bluefire672

Post by bluefire672 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:19 pm

Has been and will continue too be 3 secs from sec u see them/to hiding behind an object too spam. If rules any of them change you will see sammy post update. He did so in past with profanity filter.

-=Brock*Samson=-

Post by -=Brock*Samson=- » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:02 pm

Maverick, just because your name is, "Maverick", doesn't mean you get to have a different set of rules! :P

SNSD

Post by SNSD » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:47 pm

thanks for replying admins.
hope this thread clears things up for everyone else reading this.
-[.40 cal ]- MarioBros. ** : i swear, sometimes i think you hack, snsd.

8-)

mikebox

Post by mikebox » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:05 pm

Definitely, like you said, this has been an issue for quite some time now. And the rule is After visual, you have 3 seconds, which is about the time it takes ot unload a full clip

Venom
Site Admin

Post by Venom » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:52 pm

mikebox wrote:Definitely, like you said, this has been an issue for quite some time now. And the rule is After visual, you have 3 seconds, which is about the time it takes ot unload a full clip
If you have to empty a clip after you see someone and they hide behind a box or wall..... you have no business spamming in the first place I say :D

Spamming rule : must have visual then you have 3 seconds.

That has not changed.
-[.40 cal ]- tomwzhere ***: lol imma be webcamming with charlie so he will see if i put it right
Ven: sounds sexual :roll:

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:27 pm

First of all, I RARELY kick people for wall spamming unless it's blatant and repeated. I always error on warnings, and, yes, I do give out LOTS of warnings.

That being said, I think we need to reconsider this rule. As stated above, it only takes about 3 seconds to unload a clip. So how are we preventing anything if we allow the 3 seconds. The 3 second rule makes it IMPOSSIBLE to enforce. Also, how do we enforce no wall spamming if the person runs behind a wall, like say in aim_ak-colt? Does that then give anyone permission to spray that wall for 3 seconds? They can just say "oh so-and-so just ran behind there and I was 'shooting' at them for 3 seconds." Meanwhile they've unloaded their clip and probably done damage to other players by spraying that wall. And an actual waller could just continually say "I get 3 seconds."

Look, at the end of the day, the point to the rule is to weed out wallers. And if we continue to allow the 3 second rule, it makes it impossible to enforce who may be walling. I move the change the rule to visual only. It's simple and easy to enforce. It doesn't need an explanation every single time. It also is in line with the our bind tag: "Do not spam the double doors, walls, boxes, or crates! = Kick! Repeat offenders banned!"

Can't wait to hear what you all have to say about this!

DotA

Post by DotA » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:53 pm

If it was visual only, we would lose a ton of players. It would also not make it not as fun. I for one love the 3 second rule, because when you see all that blood and the guy run behind a box, it only takes 1-2 seconds to get a few bullets off to kill him. It would also be so hard to enforce that rule, since most people still hold down the mouse click button, instead of just tapping it. Sometimes you would just unload a clip because you think for sure you're going to kill him, but sometimes miss a whole lot like Mario in GG.

For aim_akcolt I understand, But I tend not to see anybody really spamming at all in small maps like that. The round is usually over in like 15-20 seconds especially if the teams are stacked. But any type of scrim map or larger map, you need the 3 second rule. To many places to just sit and hide and wait for someone, even though they know exactly where you are.
MarioBros.: What about yourself?
DotA: eh I never count my self.
MarioBros.: Why?
DotA: Because I tend to think there is always someone better.
MarioBros.: Because you cant win in GG?
DotA: >_>....

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:51 am

I'd be curious as to what Sammy has to say about this!

Return to “Complaint Department!”