swear filter??

speak and you will be heard!

Tuner

swear filter??

Post by Tuner » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:12 pm

While I was recently playing on .40 cal WC3, I noticed that the filter was blocking much more than usual. It turns out that "com" is blocked... I understand that "com" is blocked to prevent advertisement from players, it meaning "commercial" at the end of website addresses, but wouldn't it be better to unblock it? The alternative, "cum" is very often... inappropriately followed by innuendos and quite annoying if I must say. Warnings on bypassing the filter using "c.om" or "co.m" is also very unattractive. Overall, it is just very inconvenient to keep "com" filtered. There are not many people advertising either on .40 cal servers, players could call administrators to take care of them anyways since people actually call for admins on these servers. What great community-minded people :). Anyways, advertising is strictly against the rules anyways, so ban them for even trying to advertise... it's a game, jeez... However, I'm not expecting much results for this suggestion since the reason is merely just to make things slightly more convenient.
As long as
We are under the same sky
I will believe in my love for you
Believe in our destiny
Meeting again
Won't be far away
As long as
We are under the same sky
I still love you

As long as we are...

sizzlin

Re: swear filter??

Post by sizzlin » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:21 pm

It's hard to work with the swear filters since "com" is blocked so that people can not post there websites, just as "www" is blocked. If I am correct, "assuming" is blocked because of the first 3 letters it contains. When people saw "awww" it gets filtered because of the "www" in it.

It's impossible to make the filter perfect. The admins can see what you really said so if you are not truly abusing the swear filter, we do know this and the higher up admins are able to review the logs and see.

Just try to avoid those words if possible but if they are necessary, try typing the word something like this "co.m.municating". Just don't try and avoid the spam filter with unacceptable words or we will make sure that there is a punishment.

Fishswim

Post by Fishswim » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:20 am

i think he understands why it is there he is just asking if we can remove com, and if it seems like a influx of advertisers put it back in

good suggestion 4* please?

kyute

Post by kyute » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:43 am

i actually already brought this up to sammy, that's why you aren't fined at all. however in order to protect the servers from advertisement, etc. the word "com" still needs to be censored and that is the reason. i know it's hard to not use that word because i do it all the time and sometimes there are really annoying regulars that are like "NO CURSING" when i wasn't cursing in the first place. but yeah i think the most important thing is that we are no long fined for using that word so if we do use it accidentally, it's a censor. like you said before, you had adapted to playing on this server by not using profanity or swearing, so maybe this is just a word that must be taken out of your vocabulary while you are playing here :] other than that, i already asked bel and hambone and they basically said that it has to stay censored for the sake of the advertising.

Bb3gyXaPa

Post by Bb3gyXaPa » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:06 am

When I played recently, many people tried to say 'come on' and stuff like that and I said that the 'com' word is filtered so everyone should avoid using 'com' in a sentence because many words contain 'com' in it.
Solution: Admins may add a msg in their commandmenu to say something like 'Please do not use words that contain 'com' in it.

Also, I know how frustrating it is when everyone try to say com just to test the server and then an admin focuses on telling people not to use it instead of focusing on admining a(the) server(s). It's up to the high rank admins to decide if 'com' should be filtered or not.

On a different topic: Wow. The new steam client looks amazing!
Image Image
The object is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his!

Fishswim

Post by Fishswim » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:36 am

@steam client > yes

@not being fined for saying it then there is no real problem... dont say com or pick up a thesaurus :mrgreen:

slicky

Post by slicky » Mon May 24, 2010 8:58 pm

the word "com" should be out of the filter. I've seen other players saying cum since they couldnt say come.
An most amazing 40cal admin yet.

Bb3gyXaPa

Post by Bb3gyXaPa » Mon May 24, 2010 11:06 pm

I'll suggest to the people who try to use com by using, for example kome on or komplaining ... you know, use K instead of C. That may be solution for now ...
Image Image
The object is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his!

.#blaze

Post by .#blaze » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:37 pm

the swear filter in the servers are and have been garbage for the LONGEST time.
i've also asked for a new filter plug-in/mod but it seems they never got around to changing it.

sure, it doesnt fine u anymore if u dont purposely swear, but i guess thats the best they can do right now.
u STILL have to retype everything, and when u type a long sentence and u get the filter block, its down right annoying.
then u find yourself looking at what u wrote and trying to retype everything, or u just get annoyed and quit talking all together.
lets face it, not fining someone ISNT the best solution.

the newest one, 'com' is rather annoying.
but there are TONS and TONS of REGULAR words u cannot say.

u cant say assault cuz of 'ass', u cant say night cuz of 'nig' etc etc and so on, those are the first that came to mind.

i've said this before and i'll say it again, they need a new filter system.

the fact that the system CANNOT RECOGNIZE that a preset swear word (we'll use 'nig') is not being used by itself as a word, (night) i find ridiculous/and crappy.
it SHOULD be able to pick up when someone uses 'nig' as a racial term and when someone merely tries to say good night.

someone got lazy making this filter, and i guess 40cal hasnt found a new one / or dont want to change it.

mrbruin

Post by mrbruin » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:55 am

slicky wrote:the word "com" should be out of the filter. I've seen other players saying cum since they couldnt say come.
agreed I almost gotta explain to those who are new to 40cal more than 3 times a map.
freedom : hey if i buy a para
freedom : i'm allowed to spam right?
freedom : i paid like 6k for it
-[.40 cal ]- Mr. Bruin *** : no
freedom : okay but i can pretty much pull the trigger
freedom : what if it's not at a wall

Return to “Suggestion booth!”