21 and over custom server?

speak and you will be heard!

kazualty

21 and over custom server?

Post by kazualty » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:19 pm

Just putting this out there, I know theres some tinkering going on with servers so this may not be a viable time to try this. but what if we make 21 and older custom map server? I suppose it doesnt have to be custom maps but I was thinking it could park on cs_dust2_40cal when empty and have all 40cal maps in rotation, but then have a huge list of custom maps with a nomination and vote mod. It also wouldn't necessarily have to be 21 and over but this is another idea I had not sure if its been mentioned before. But this could be the one server that does allow cussing and vulgar discussions, possibly even allowing wall-spamming/crouchwalking but thats debatable (but to make it a more relaxed place for an admin to not be so worried, maybe even be able to play during work for some). I think this would attract people who already enjoy 40cal servers because alot of them would enjoy an atmosphere that is more open to vulgar conversation. Or to be able to yell a cussword when they die (respectfully). All other rules would still apply and I think just the fact that it is 40cal and it is 21 and over would attract a crowd. This may even be an idea for the intermediate server (without custom maps with scorpions rotation or whatever it ends up being). I really enjoy custom maps though and would like to see a custom map server if possible.

Sorry I know this is confusing and a few ideas compiled into one, I also dont know if this idea has ever been put out there before. What does everyone think about each idea seperately (personally i prefer the custom idea with dust2_40cal as main map to attract people)?
21 and older Custom Maps (nominations and vote preferred with large map list)?
Intermediate 21 and older?
21 and older Standard Maps?
21 and older Standard/Custom (maybe similar to war3 servers vote, still prefer nominations and larger list)?
Custom Maps (not 21 and older, would still be nice even if 21+ is decided not a good idea)?

ScorpioN

Re: 21 and over custom server?

Post by ScorpioN » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:43 pm

This would defeat the purpose of having a clean community. What -[.40 cal ]- strives for.

kazualty

Post by kazualty » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:06 am

ScorpioN wrote:This would defeat the purpose of having a clean community. What -[.40 cal ]- strives for.
i understand your point but thats why it says 21+. granted this would be more of a rating then a requirement but it would still be a server well protected from hackers and cheaters aswell as anyone who is being disrespectful. I am not expecting there to be any rude comments or disrespectful people or racist comments. Just allowing of drug or alcohol references and the ability to cuss (respectfully). It would also be a place we could send people who just cant hold there tongues. Tell them if you feel the need to cuss go to the 21 and over server. I understand that we want things to be clean but I think this would attract alot of people mainly just because it says 40cal and you are allowed to be a little more open in conversation.

Venom
Site Admin

Post by Venom » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:14 am

are you going to volunteer as a bouncer checking IDs? :lol:

can't be sure of anyone's age ... online .. in a game

ScorpioN wrote:This would defeat the purpose of having a clean community. What -[.40 cal ]- strives for.
*thumbs up!*
-[.40 cal ]- tomwzhere ***: lol imma be webcamming with charlie so he will see if i put it right
Ven: sounds sexual :roll:

kazualty

Post by kazualty » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Venom wrote:are you going to volunteer as a bouncer checking IDs? :lol:

can't be sure of anyone's age ... online .. in a game
Sometimes im really not sure anyone takes the time to read what i write. I know I babble but I did mention that this would be just so people would know before entering that it is a more vulgar server. Similar to saying a movie is rated R. They do ask you bring a parent in some areas but minors are allowed so long as someone vouches that they have a clear understanding and can handle seeing gore or hearing foul language. I dont expect to check everyones age and dont expect everyone to be over 21. Its just a label to give people a clear understanding of whats inside.

I feel as if a clean server refers to removal of hackers/cheaters and people having lude/disrespectful behavior. Allowing or not allowing cusswords (if used in a respectful manner) really has nothing to do with being a nice clean server to hang out in. If you are referring to clean as in "pure" then that is understandable. But this is also why I ask for a 21 and over server for those who would like to not be such a purest and have an enjoyable time talking about those times getting wasted or whatever you want to talk about without worry. I guess it depends on what you think is clean but i really dont think this would tarnish 40cals name. It says 21 and over so people who dont like these discussions dont have to go there. If people do or would prefer to be able to then I think people would flock there. I asked about it in the server and not one player disagreed. Anyone who said something said "its a great idea" or "ya we should do that".

I guess it depends how you look at a clean server. If you feel like it needs to be pure on every server and not a cussword or lude comment then i guess thats how you feel. But this gives a place for those who dont agree with that to go. Or a place to send them thats still ours. It may be a little more rowdy and maybe even more difficult to control. But more open to conversation and freedom of speech and the ability to discuss between fellow potheads in game would make alot of people happy and could still be considered a clean server. Be nice or be gone would still apply, aswell as all other rules.

Glazed

Post by Glazed » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:26 pm

I definately read what you write Kaz and I think you have a good idea, but I think that a 21 or older server that promotes freedom of cursing is less adultlike than a server that encourages people not to cuss and to find alternate methods of expressing their frustration.

Ultimately this idea I think would be more along the lines of a 21 and under server. Think of it this way, if you went to a restaurant in public and spoke that way you would embarass yourself and those around you and most people would think to themselves "hey that guy really should grow up". By that same virtue, you wouldn't make drug references either. That type of conversation is best suited for a private message or a private environment.

I have alot more respect for someone that knows all the words but chooses not to use them.

Two points I would bring up is that age of majority is not 21 everywhere you go and certain words are not considered curses or innapropriate to some.

Is it really worth the additional upkeep and effort from our higher level admins that could be more effectively spent on the servers we already have.

Not saying this is a bad idea but I was hoping I could give you somewhat of an outside unbiased perspective on this idea.

You are both a gentleman and a scholar.

Good day to you.

Humbly yours,

Benny aka Glazed.
GlazeD

kazualty

Post by kazualty » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:34 pm

I do understand your point. You are very right about this. I once heard that 40cal is here to make you a better person. You are correct I would not be disrespectful in a restaurant or public place. At the same time though I enjoy being able to sit at home in comfort with my friends and talk about whatever. Even if it is a deemed publicly "bad" topic that you might not discuss with a friend in public. It is fun to be at home and feel as if you can completely be yourself without fear of riticule. There is a time for composure, but there is also a time for fun. I understand we are trying to create that professional environment and it is well established. I suppose I feel like Im on the fence with this one still though. So many people I think would be attracted to the allowance of more freedom of speech. I think if we clearly stated a warning as you entered and there was only 1 server that was this way, it would be an attraction all in its own.
Glazed wrote: I have alot more respect for someone that knows all the words but chooses not to use them.
This holds alot of meaning. I feel you are right about this and 40cal does actually help alot of people become more professional because of the way our servers are conducted. Which is never a bad thing. I still feel as if this would not totally destroy that but I understand what you mean. I feel as if we took a professional approach and still kept it clean of disrespect and hackers that this would be a major attraction. Not just for being able to curse but the feeling of comfort and freedom aswell as no fear of disrespect would make for an amazing server, especially with the 40cal name backing it. Im not saying people in this server should throw the f bomb every other word but just being able to feel the same comfort you do with your friends at home freedom of discussion, freedom of speech, just one place to go for that if you feel you need to. This could also double as a place on the forum to go and have public discussions that are about more publicly deemed "bad" topics. So long as they aren't racist or disrespectful of course.

Im babbling again but I guess this is all I really have to say I feel like I am over replying to everyones comments and I hope I dont come off as attacking you guys. I truly believe in the passion of 40cal and what it stands for. If everyone really does think this is a bad idea I understand. I just want everyone to understand the possibility and what good it can do. I dont think it would cause any more problems then we already have, in fact maybe less with not having to worry about the slipped cussword or someone using an F in wth or omg. Id like more opinions if possible and feel free to reply to what ive had to say I will hold my comments from now on I dont think theres much more I could add at this point.

Glazed

Post by Glazed » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:26 am

No hostility detected from you at all Kaz <3 , I also see your side of it and think it could be a good idea if done correctly
GlazeD

kakashi

Post by kakashi » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:43 am

I think this could be a good idea.
In my every day life, I cuss all the time. But at the .40 cal servers I know the rules and abide by them.
Having a little more "freedom" when it comes to the language filter, and not having to explain to people what they said wrong when they type "what does night elf ultimate do?" would be a little more relaxing.
Maybe even just test it out for a couple weeks, maybe a month? If it gets out of hand, get rid of it? I too believe it would bring some more attention from the reg's and the people who are new to the servers. Have a warning before team pick stating that it's the only server that allowes this behavior but only in a respectful manor.
Rules will still be enforced, just have a little more slack :)

Barbo

Post by Barbo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:18 pm

kakashi wrote:I think this could be a good idea.
In my every day life, I cuss all the time. But at the .40 cal servers I know the rules and abide by them.
Having a little more "freedom" when it comes to the language filter, and not having to explain to people what they said wrong when they type "what does night elf ultimate do?" would be a little more relaxing.
Maybe even just test it out for a couple weeks, maybe a month? If it gets out of hand, get rid of it? I too believe it would bring some more attention from the reg's and the people who are new to the servers. Have a warning before team pick stating that it's the only server that allowes this behavior but only in a respectful manor.
Rules will still be enforced, just have a little more slack :)
Totally agree with you!
Se habla español.
Barbo.****

Return to “Suggestion booth!”