Ticket: 117951
Description: Extremely slow connectivity speeds
Ticket Status: PENDING
Updated On: 2014-09-26 11:37:43
Updated By: Doug Owens

----------------------------------------
2014-09-26 11:37:43 - Doug Owens

40calgames

I am opening this ticket to track your phone request about your extremely slow connectivity issues.

As was discussed on the phone, you said that your original contract was for unlimited bandwidth, and that since the server upgrade your services have actually gotten a bit slower/worse and this is causing unhappiness in your community.

We are looking into this for you, to see if there are caps or throttling of bandwidth taking place, and confirming what your contracted bandwidth plan is.

As soon as we have any information on this we will both update this ticket and give you a call at your work number that you gave me on the phone (and that I will add to your account).

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact your Matrix TotalCare™ Team.

Kind Regards,

Doug Owens
NOC Manager
ScaleMatrix

LITTLE-FLUFFY-KITTY

Re: servers 9-26-14

Post by LITTLE-FLUFFY-KITTY » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:47 pm

sammy wrote:
I am opening this ticket to track your phone request about your extremely slow connectivity issues.
GOOD
sammy wrote: this is causing unhappiness in your community.
Thank you very much Sammy for telling them that.
sammy wrote:We are looking into this for you
They should've looked on the day when you made a purchase Sammy.
sammy wrote:and confirming what your contracted bandwidth plan is.

Aren't they suppose to know what it is, what's point of confirmation? You pay them, they give you quality service. Confirming, shmonfirming. blah blah
sammy wrote:As soon as we have any information on this we will
Sounds like a police detective. Did he watch too many Hollywood movies?!? That is NOT the way to ease and relax the pissed off customer.
sammy wrote:If you have any questions
I do. I pay my hard earned money, I expect a great service where I don't have to call Customer service or create issue tickets. You're not the only company I can go to. I pay, you provide excellent service and we do not see each other anymore. THAT'S A QUALITY SERVICE.
Question: Do you think based on my situation, your company provides QUALITY SERVICE?

sammy wrote:Kind Regards,
Shove them where the Sun doesn't shine

:D :P

sammy
Site Admin

Post by sammy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:38 pm

Today at 3:41 PM

Updated On: 2014-09-26 15:41:37

2014-09-26 15:41:37 - Doug Owens

To 40calgames

Here is what we have found so far:

1) The server has MALWARE and ADWARE installed on it.
2) Network utilization is averaging 2.5% of 1,000Mbps connection
3) Speedtest show download speed of 337.77Mbps and upload speed of 244.49Mbps. (image attached to ticket)
4) CPU utilization is less than 5% (average)
5) Using your server to download a large ISO, we were able to download at speeds exceeding 100Mbps.
6) Windows Updates have never been performed.
7) Confirmation that no port limiting is taking place, even though your contract does have a 1Mbps commit, with bursting to a full 1,000Mbps.

Some additional points to mention would be:
1) Your server does not have a FIREWALL configured for protection (even though it is using a public IP)
2) Your server does not have any form of ANTI-VIRUS or MALWARE protection.
3) Windows Updates have never been performed, which could leave your server vulnerable to compromise.

We are currently performing all of the necessary Windows Updates for you (which may require one, or more, reboots that you have already approved). Once complete with this, we will again check performance of the server and the network connection.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Kind Regards,

Doug Owens
NOC Manager
ScaleMatrix

sammy
Site Admin

Post by sammy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:34 pm

Matrix TotalCare

dustylillo@scalematrix.com

Today at 5:21 PM

Updated On: 2014-09-26 17:21:36

2014-09-26 17:21:36 - Doug Owens

40calgames,

In response to your last question, "What does this mean? - Network utilization is averaging 2.5% of 1,000Mbps connection". That means that you are using 2.5% of an expected capacity of 1,000Mbps.

I don't believe this to be a bad connection, or a hardware configuration issue, due to the testing that we performed as part of trouble-shooting.

- We ran Speedtest multiple times and the slowest results were the ones that I sent you (344 Mbps). This tells us that when required, that port is capable of higher rate of transit of data.
- We also downloaded large ISO files to test the sustained transfer rate, and were receiving comparable download speeds during those tests.
- When examining the ports on the switch, we were not seeing more than a combined flow of more than 12Mbps.
- Unused and available RAM exceeds 20GB.

The Windows updates are still in progress. These may increase your performance slightly, considering there are quite a few of them since the release of R2. These should also be done regularly to avoid leaving holes in your security.

At this point, it appears that the hardware all seems to be operating well above specs.

Could there be something happening with the gaming software that is causing these delays? We are not familiar with the setup/configuration of the games you operate, so we wouldn't know what the proper settings would be.

- Did you reinstall your software, or simply move it to server?
- Are the configuration files hardware dependent, and if so, should they be recreated as opposed to migrating them?

Are there any tests that you feel we should run against the hardware to confirm that it is running properly?

I will touch base with you again after the updates are completed in total, and we will see where we stand at that point.

Kind Regards,

Doug Owens
NOC Manager
ScaleMatrix

sammy
Site Admin

Post by sammy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:17 pm

sylwester:
I got your pm on allieds. I will fix the cfg configuration specs to your suggestion. I am praying it will work.
thank you
sammy

-=Brock*Samson=-

Post by -=Brock*Samson=- » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:09 pm

I noticed all the 40 cal servers were pinging back in the 500's yesterday (and other servers were normal). The wc3 server was down at the time. I checked back an hour later and wc3 was back up, and the servers were pinging fine. Hope this was the fix!

Return to “Announcements”